Aksel Treyd Lts is a fast-growing wood processing company with an annual production capacity of 20 000 tons per year.
The company approached ThingsLog to support them in an energy efficiency project they wanted to realize. ThingsLog team had a task to identify energy and water consumption patterns, suggest cost optimization options, and improve safety.
The customer needs: energy efficiency and cost savings
ThingsLog consulting team made a preliminary analysis at the factory to determine what systems would be best suited for the customer. As a result of the analyses, a few optimization areas were identified:
- Water usage is key in wood processing and monitoring the usage of water can bring both savings and benefits to the customer.
- The company is using a relatively big number of machinery and occasionally machines are not switched off when not being actively used.
- There is a clear dependency between the increase in energy usage of the machines and the need for maintenance for them.
- It is difficult to forecast the water and energy costs without monitoring and understanding the fluctuations.
The ThingsLog solution: continuous energy metering & remote water monitoring in the production process
Based on the analyses phase, ThingsLog technical team defined the most suitable points to enable the monitoring of the energy and water consumption in the production process. The implementation is based on 22 energy monitoring points tracking the consumption of each machine. In addition, there is one water monitoring point that keeps track of water consumption in close to real-time mode.
Benefits for the ThingsLog customer: energy consumption optimization, leak detection, smart facility management
ThingsLog solution gives the production manager the opportunity to monitor and analyze the use of energy and water resources and enables:
- Timely decisions for managing the working process so that energy and water costs be optimized.
- Accurate allocation of energy and water bills to the cost of production.
- Easy identification of machinery that remained switched outside of working hours adding to electricity bills and bringing risks to the company.
- Tracking of energy consumption pattern of each machine and identifying increases that indicate the need to change components.
- Finding leakages of water through ongoing monitoring of water consumption in close to real-time.
The implementation of the ThingsLog solution for energy and water consumption helped the custom work more efficiently through optimization of the water and energy consumption, supporting the safety of the production process, and enabling the manager to identify issues early and react to them in a timely manner.